Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pulp Fashion

When I was visiting my grandparents in San Francisco over spring break, we went to this exhibit called Pulp Fashion at an art museum. The artists name is Isabelle de Borchgrave and she works with a group of helpers to make dresses out of paper. It was really incredible to see. She uses so much detail and makes everything out of paper: the earrings, shoes, accessories, hair, all of it. A lot of them she copies from old paintings, like the image on the right:








On the left (above) is a sheer canopy, made from paper, that we walked through. Inside is a bed with paper pillows and another dress.













The lace was amazing, but I think my favorite was the dress below. It had so much detail and the folds and creases looked so real but all had to be individually formed because the paper itself is stiff and doesn't flow like fabric.







This was my dad's favorite because it had a chicken in it! I am not quite sure why. He said it was different because there wasn't just a dress! haha.


1 comment:

  1. This work is beautiful! I'd be very interested in seeing this.

    ReplyDelete