I created this piece portraying cigarette smoke and wine bottles first. This pieces is meant to represent a combination of the safety and dependence people find in smoking and in drinking alcoholic beverages. To begin, I actually found wine bottles and a wine glass in my house and arranged them in the position I wanted. My parents thought I was a little crazy! I sketched these onto my paper, including a sketch of my hand in the corner. Then, I added in the smoke. The idea was for the form of the smoke to help outline and create the actual shapes of the bottles and glass. I looked online at several pictures of cigarettes and smoke to get an idea of smoke's general behavior. With this to draw from, I filled the empty "air" in my picture with curly cloud shapes of smoke. I also tried to use the smoke to create movement in the piece by drawing the viewers eye around the solids and not directly to them. Throughout all of my concentration pieces I am trying to push my values. I enjoy using graphite, but my works ALWAYS end up too light.
My second piece in this set depicts a fat man shrunk down to the size of a pea sitting on a giant hamburger. I flipped the proportions of these two objects to show that the food is actually consuming the man instead of the man consuming the food. (He is also smoking, so it ties back in to the previous picture kind of). I really have struggled to like this piece because I feel like no matter what I did, the man turned out too cartoon-y. He seems out of place from the rest of my work to me, maybe just because he is so small and unrealistic in relation to the rest of the picture. There were a lot of different textures in this piece. I am pleased with how the patty turned out, but it still seems like I need to do something to the top bun to make it look 3D, but I do not know what.My concentration, once again:
My concentration focuses on different things that people depend on for fulfillment. I developed the idea from looking at my own life and what is important to me. I recognized that in the business and stress of high school, I rely on the people I love to keep me going. As I spent more time thinking about dependence, I realized that unfortunately people do not always depend on good and healthy things. Some lean too heavily on addictions and harmful aspects. I will explore these ideas through the use of graphite drawings and attention to detail.

c: your technical skill is really apparent in both these drawings. I wouldn't worry about the fat man because in the first drawing, the smoke isn't really realistic either. You're right though because everything else about the hamburger turned out really well; the texture is amazing even this small.
ReplyDeleteOne thing I would consider switching up is the composition because both of your drawings seemed to be balanced in the middle. I'm guilty of this a lot. I have some natural tendency to put things in the middle, even if I think they work. You should consider things from different perspectives, but don't go out of your way to do something that wouldn't necessarily translate well onto the page.
I Think Karen is a bit wrong with the composition. The Hamburger one is put in the middle of the page, but it fills the whole thing, so that actually works. And the Wine Glass one is not in the Center of the piece, it works with the rule of thirds. I would suggest though adding more contrast with the Wine and Smoke one so the Bottle can poP a little more as well as the hand. I like the fact though you know this anyway. The Hamburglar one is valued very well, but the top bun to me seems a little flat. I'm not sensing the roundness of the bun. I would try mark making with your pencil as if you had to draw around the curve of the bread. you know what i'm sayin'. I really like how the Shape of the smoke is. very absract. But i feel like it's sitting in the backround and should have some more breakouts to the foreground. Your restatment of your concentration is a bunch of symbols, but i found it from an earlier post. the Hamburger one fits, but it seems like i don't know if your focusing on the Wine or the Smoke in the other one. It seems like it should be one or the other.
ReplyDeleteI like the middle of the burger, the lettuce and the burger and tomatoes, etc. looks very realistic. although the bun bothers me a little, just cause it looks flatter, the edge looks like it should be rounder maybe. but great deatial and value! I agree with Jackson, that it is kinda centered but it fills up the page so its okay. Keep up the great work!
ReplyDelete